At the turn of the 20th century, religious and cultural education was carried
out by the Basilian Fathers and the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate. To
this end, the Fathers and Sisters established St. Nicholas School, in 1905.
Soon after, the School was entrusted to the exclusive administration of the
Sisters. In 1911, the construction of a large school building was funded by
Archbishop Adélard Langevin. In 1962, a new school building was constructed,
and its name was changed to Immaculate Heart of Mary School. The Basilian
Fathers have always maintained the chaplaincy to
Soon after the Parish moved from McGregor Street to Arlington Avenue, Catechism and Ukrainian Language and Dancing classes were held in the new parish auditorium. Connie Dziedzic has been coordinator of the catechetical program for 25 years and continues to do an outstanding job in maintaining eight grades of Catechism instruction. Many graduating students have continued on as catechetical assistants and later as teachers of our program. In 1976, then Parish Priest Myron Daciuk, OSBM (bishop from 1982) gave the Education Staff their own office and resource room in the Church hall.
At different times of the year, the Religious Education Staff share their work with the entire parish at the 12:00 Divine Liturgy. Some such celebrations are: Inscription Service for Grades 1,2 and 8 children and families, Book of Life, Solemn (First) Holy Communion, Grade 8 Graduation, and Children's Christmas Eve Divine Liturgy.