This group of children has existed since the inception of the parish. Their duties include lighting altar candles before the liturgical services, carrying candles in processions (a function of the ancient order of acolyte or candle bearer), preparing incence and assisting the priest in his sacred functions. Since 1972, Altar servers have often read the epistle at Sunday Liturgies.
The altar servers wear vestments similar to the sacred ministers: a cassock and gold or red dalmatic.
Children of Mary & Sodality of Mary
On May 24, 1922 Father Epiphany Teodorovych, OSBM and Sister Ignatia Butryn, SSMI formed the Children of Mary association, with fifty-five young girls as its first members. The goal of this association was the religious formation of children, especially through the example and intercession of Mary, the Mother of God.
On October 27, 1929 St. Mary's Sodality was formed for girls grade seven and upward. In 1935, a section of this Sodality was initiated for the older boys, by Father Andrew Truch, OSBM. This sectiion ceased to exist, when many of the boys went to war. In the Marian year of 1954, the boys sections was renewed, but did not last.
Children of Mary and Sodality participate in religious processions and events, wearing their distinctive blue capes.